Only 19 km away from Timişoara (see map), between the Timiş and Bega rivers, lies a green oasis: the Bazoş Dendrological Park. There are over 800 different species of trees and shrubs planted here, gathered from every corner of the world, this being the reason for which it was declared a monument of nature in 1984. Since 1994, the park has a status of protected area for the safety of biodiversity of the genofund and ecofund.
The Bazoş Dendrological Park was assembled over 100 years ago, during the time of count Ludovic Ambrozy, owner of the property. During the same period, inside the park, a castle was built. At the end of the First World War, after the dismantlement of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, the count was expropriated through the agriculture reform and the park area was taken into property by the Romanian state.
Some say that Ambrozy, being upset, had ordered the destruction of the castle and had given the bricks to the villagers from Bazoşu Nou. Another version of its story is that the noble sold the castle and left for Vienna. In 1934, the new owners took down the castle and sold the bricks to the colonists from Transylvania. The only annex of the missing castle that is still standing is the water tower.
You can travel by car or even by bike from Timişoara to the Bazoş Dendrological Park. Many people choose the bike, due to the short distance and the well maintained road. Housing possibilities and food can be found right at the park entrance where a guest house stands.
Written by Alexandra Palconi. Translated by Doiniţa Spuză.
Photo credit: Flavius Neamciuc