Recollections of Német (II): the Mučalov family members

Milutin Mučalov was born on May 8th, 1909 in Nagy-Becskerek, Banat, Austro-Hungary (today Zrenjanin, Serbia). He was the youngest son of Ivan Mučalov and Jelena Lilic. Around 1943, he married Ingeborg Sophie Ludmilla Korte. They had three sons: Sima Andreas, Georg Dietrich and Peter. Between 1944 and 1949, Ingeborg and Milutin lived at the Mučalov […]

Recollections of Német (I)

Ingeborg Sophie Ludmilla Korte was born on May 9th, 1910 in Hamburg. At age of 24 she married to a Saxon biologist from Transylvania, Dr. Hartmut Walter Palmhert. They had two daughters, Suse Liese and Anne Ruth Palmhert, but their marriage ended in 1941 when Walter was killed during the siege of Sevastopol.  Ingeborg then married […]

The Communist Consumer Museum

Timişoara’s reputation as a city of premieres continues to remain unflinched. This time, we are talking about an impressive collection of over 500 objects that Romanians used to buy before the year of ‘89, exhibited permanently in the basement of an old building from Timişoara. The Communist Consumer Museum is a premiere for Romania and […]

Movie and Watermelon in Gottlob

It is said that in Gottlob, a commune located in the Timiş county on the road that connects Timişoara and Cenad, one out of ten villagers makes a living by growing watermelon, known under the name of “lubeniţă” in this part of the country. More so, the Gottlob watermelon’s notoriety has spread out so much […]

The Mocsonyi Castle from Vlajkovac

In Vlajkovac, a village situated in the Serbian Region of Banat, on the road that links Timişoara from Belgrade and only a few kilometers from Vršac, is one of the five noble residences of past times of the macedo-romanian Mocsonyi family, The castle, located in the middle of a huge park, entered the possession of the […]

The Banaterra Castle from Srpska Crnja

In the frontier village of Srpska Crnja, located less than 10 km from Jimbolia, is the “youngest” castle from the Serbian territory of the Banat area. It was built during the Second World War, at the order of a Nazi general, on a plot of land that once belonged to the Csekonics Count. During the […]